The treatment resistant depression market was valued at
The prevalence of treatment resistant depression is substantial in several European and American countries and peaks in the 40 to 60 age group. Females present a substantially high disease burden, accounting to almost twice as their male counterparts. As opined by treatment providers, patients with TRD are found to be twice as likely as those with major depressive disorder to be hospitalized, thus adding to healthcare cost burden for hospitalized treatment resistant depression patients by 5 to 6 times. Therefore, TRD is a major and the most neglected public health issue with an estimated 12 month prevalence of 2% to 3% for Stage 1 TRD and 1.5% to 2% for Stage 2 TRD.
Inclusion of a second agent is observed to be an appealing strategy in patients who have demonstrated tolerance to initial antidepressant without significant side effects or have reported partial response and/or when a second agent may turn out to be an important additional goal such as treating comorbid condition – ADHD or smoking or a side effect like nausea. The chief drawbacks to augmentation or combination strategies are augmented risk of drug interactions, potential decrement in treatment adherence and cost.
- Increasing prevalence of anxiety and depression related disorders in young adults
- Rise in geriatric population
- Patent expiry of major antidepressants
- Stigma related to treatment and acceptance of mental disorders and anxiety
- Innovative therapies and strong pipeline
Attractive Investment Proposition
Competitive Analysis: Global Treatment Resistant Depression Market, 2015
Global Treatment Resistant Depression Market, By Drug Class, 2014-2024 (US$ Mn)
- Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs)
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Serotonin Neurotransmitter (5-HT2)-receptor Antagonists
- Novel Agents
- AstraZeneca plc
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Eli Lilly and Company
Forest Laboratories(Allergan plc)
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
Schering Plough Corporation
- Vistagen Therapeutics, Inc.
For more information about this report visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/dgx6vh/global_treatment
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-treatment-resistant-depression-market-2014-2024-increasing-prevalence-of-anxiety-and-depression-related-disorders-in-young-adults—research-and-markets-300439546.html